Tuesday 30 October 2007

The Stinky

This post should really be called "The Strange And The Stinky", but I'm not brave enough to mess with convention that much. Let alone be unconventional.

First the stinky. You just have to love kids birthday parties. Or maybe you don't. Me I can't decide either way really - part of me does, part of me doesn't.

But the last one I went to - i.e. on Sunday - I at long last received the recognition I've been waiting for all my life.

Shame it was King of Smelly Feet. But at least I am now officially a King.

And the strange?

Yesterday I was walking along The Terrace, and in the space of about two minutes had two really weird Flight Of The Conchords experiences. On the other side of the road, just past where I once flatted, this guy wandered by in one of Bret's tops (the red stripy one from the opening credits) and with Bret's beard. It wasn't Bret though, this guy was stockier and wearing cargo shorts, which I couldn't really see Bret wearing, not with that top anyway.

Nothing strange in that I hear you say. And you'd be right. Just a bit of sartorial namechecking going on. Nothing to get too excited about.

But then the really strange thing happened. Not too far down the road, this guy on a bicycle rode by. Again nothing to strange. But this guy was wearing a cycle helmet. A cycle helmet which looked like hair!! He didn't look like either Bret or Jermaine though. It was still a strange sight.

It's kinda cool that folk around here are taking a postmodern approach to fandom - if that's what it is and not just strange coincidence - and highlighting their admiration via little props, not loud screamy t-shirts and the like.

And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you need to watch more TV - or live in a country that plays decent American made New Zealand comedy.

No comments: