Wednesday 7 May 2008

The Blogger

I believe I've said this before, but this internet thing is kinda cool. Sometimes you're wandering around, avoiding what you should be doing, claiming a lack of inspiration when it’s actually a lack of pathy, and you come across something cool, without actually remembering how you got there.

This is one of those things. It’s not the easiest site to navigate around, but the idea is lovely, and some of the images are phantastisch. And this isn't one of them.

What I should have been doing was busy intellectualising my work, and writing another application/proposal. I don't know how other people find the time for writing, let alone shooting - especially those working fulltime (like Gavin and Wayne and Anne and Ann and others).

This application/proposal writing thing is a strange beast. I spend hours in front of the computer, at cafes, wandering the streets thinking about myself. Then I try to put it in words which hopefully suit the language requirements of those making the selection – high brow or lower brow as the case may be – while pretending I know what the hell I’m on about.

And then I'm left wondering whether its actually worth the time and effort and bother cos I never get them anyway. But I want to be in this for the longhaul. I want to make my living as a fulltime artist. So I need to put myself forward for Residencies and Prizes. Hopefully one day, I'll start winning some, getting my name out there a bit more, and getting my fame, fortune and harems.

Over the weekend I was thinking about chucking in finishing this one off. Even after having spent getting on for $100 getting prints made, buying presentation folders etc., drinking coffee in cafes while reading through draft after draft.

But fortunately for this one, I needed letters of recommendations to go with my proposal. Usually it's names of referees they want with the application, not actual letters. So having convinced three people to write wonderful things about me and my practice I felt I would be abusing that friendship and trust if I didn't finish it and get it in the post (which I did yesterday).

So thanks guys. Now it's in the hands of God - or CNZ.

Oh. In case you're wondering the photos posted have nothing to do with the posting. I just thought I should post photos seeing as I pretend I'm a photographer and this is a photoblog. They were taken last year with a special camera which has not been used since. Not that I'm a sad bugger or anything.

Miserable maybe. But not sad.

2 comments:

a camera in the world said...

you had better post it after I spent ages doing that letter!

Best of luck.

microphen said...

have no fear. it was in the post on monday. so has hopefully made it to auckland by now.

thanks for the effort.