Sunday 18 May 2008

The Zenith

When I posted this, one of my regular readers commented "good luck with the hockey, look forward to seeing the "damage photos" ".

Well I'm kinda over photographing my injuries. For one thing it's actually quite difficult to get good photos of your own leg and associated scrapes/bruises/swellings etc. Also it's quite egotistical, and frankly writing a blog is egotistical enough. Lastly, and possibly most importantly, my earlier injury posts didn't solicit any way near enough sympathy from you guys.

It's not as if I haven't had the injuries already this year. A few weeks ago I counted no less than 12 individual bruises on my person, about 4 of which covered a large portion of my left thigh. And I've had a nicely swollen ankle for two weeks now.

Today however I feel justified with posting the following images.

They document some very serious damage. Very serious indeed. I would suggest fatal were it not for the fact that I'm writing this.

Here is a nice demonstration of how photography can be used to deceive; to obscure the truth; to tell the story the photographer wants to tell.

Turn the stick 90 degrees and you see the head is only hanging on thanks to the fibreglass shell.

Mmmmmmm broken wood. Naturally this happened prior to the game, when I made a miracle save by sticking my stick out hoping it'd connect with the fast moving ball. Ummm ... I think it did connect somewhat.

Guess what I'm doing this week?

Oh, and some other rubbish which may be of interest.

Firstly a couple more reviews - The National Grid (by me) and Rita Angus (by a regular).

And, it's quite surprising what you discover about yourself when you do a Google search trying to find online comments about your latest project.

Somehow this came up. What was surprising was this comment on page 32.

           Religious Studies
           1–20 September 2007
           Thermostat Gallery, Palmerston North
           Three Christian photographers explored biblical
           themes through nature and a critique of consumerism
           in Hong Kong. Andy Palmer: Some of the silences in
           my life, David Boyce: Elective affinities, Jodi Ruth
           Keet: When the thousand years are over.

I'm not sure how long I've been a Christian photographer. It's not a label I would ever have given myself, and I feel it'd be safe to say David and Jodi wouldn't chose that particular epithet either. For myself it's largely cos I'm not a Christian, but why split hairs.

The Chrysalis Seed Trust "aims to help resource artists from a Christian perspective" so it's no surprise they chose to see certain things in a show called "Religious Studies". Our own fault I guess.

Interestingly, a few days after the opening when I was taking David up north, we stopped in on Jodi at Raglan and the CST guys were there holding a meeting. David and Jodi went, I stayed home. The next day David and I bumped into them at the Waikato Museum. It was obvious to me that 1) my work didn't leave much of an impression on them, 2) they really had no idea what each of us were/are about.

That's what happens when you put things into the public sphere. People attach their own meaning regardless of what meaning the artist hopes it may have for others.

That's one of the reasons why I do this dumb thing.

4 comments:

a camera in the world said...

Great photo, just what I expected....

and hmmmmmm, CST mention of the show was interesting. I would have thought my conversation with them would have pointed to my rather questioning relationship with faith. Still, nice to know someone took the time to write something about it.

microphen said...

again i note the lack of sympathy.

i think a review would have been really interesting. we presented three quite different takes on 'religious' themes, and i'm not sure even i got it all. but it would have been good to get a meaning of the show from a 'christian' perspective; to get an understanding of how the works fitted within a 'christian' context - particularly when the work wasn't really christian based.

Rob d'Auvergne said...

Hi guys.

My apologies for the mistake. The reference to your show came across my desk (I'm the CS Arts subeditor) as an exhibition by Christian artists, and I should have checked the accuracy of the information.

A "questioning relationship with faith" is something it would nice to see more of. If you're exhibiting work in the future that engages with Christianity, let me know – a review would definitely be interesting. It's good to consider other takes on the faith.

Peace, Rob.

microphen said...

hi rob, thanks for dropping by. i don't think any of us would have been too upset by the mistake.

what was interesting to me was that by calling the show 'religious studies' people made assumptions about our faith/beliefs, yet no one actually asked us (or me anyway) about it.

a lot of david's work does involve a questioning of faith, but as he says he is still questioning his relationship to faith.

it's really interesting the interpretations people put on works when they're made public. and that's on reason for making them public.