Friday 30 May 2008

The Wanderer


Yesterday was a bit of a strange day. For me. Though it took a while for me to notice.

You see for the afternoon I was truly playing the role of 'The Artist'. Now you might argue it's a role I play regularly. But what made yesterday different was that I spent a few hours wandering our hill working.

Actually looking for specific images. Not just snapshooting. Which is my usual Wellington mode. In fact it's my usual anywhere mode.

It felt strange to me. Though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's cos I haven't been shooting much lately. Maybe it's cos I was with Hasselblad not Horseman. Maybe it's cos I'm capricious. Maybe.

The new work is provisionally titled one day, in a town on the edge of the world, the tide went out and never returned. Though I may use that title for a different but related series, so this one might be called you shouldn't have to say goodbye and wonder if this way is how it's gonna be.

Or it may not.

Anyway, after twenty eight shots I'm not convinced I got anything of value. And in fact I'm only speculating that the idea and work is of any value.

That shot up there is an image that probably won't make either series, but it has some potential for something. Somewhere. At least according to Jodi.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tena koe ehoa
Damn Andy, I love this "....in a town on the edge of the world, the tide went out and never returned." rings of sentiments and impressions of Sam Hunt and Hone Tuwhare.

"Speculation is not yet fruition. Fruition is the product of speculation."

microphen said...

thanks ndiginiz. i really like it too.

that's why i stole it.

i wish i could claim it as my own, but sadly i'm not that poetic.

Anonymous said...

Oh ups for being honest about stealing it though. So where did it come from if you don't mind me asking?

microphen said...

you were kinda close with sam hunt hone tuwhare. both series, and possible titles, reference and borrow from contemporary nz culture - film, music, etc. at least thats the idea.

i'm hesitant about saying where i appropriated it from, cos i like to retain an air of mystery in my work.

and also knowing where the text was found probably wouldn't add anything to your understanding of the work. not that most of you have seen any of it yet. partly cos there hasn't been a final work made yet.

Anonymous said...

First time I read that quote it was ringing serious bells but I just couldn't place it. But I think I've just had that big "AHA" moment. But I won't tell.

I was going to suggest Microphen for your current project film, poetry and literature maybe just as fruitful, if not more, source material...

microphen said...

music and film are proving harder than i expected, but using poetry and literature would mean i'd actually have to sit down and read things. i love my books, but i'm not a good reader. sam neill has introduced me to a book i feel i do need to get (and not read) though.

jodi Ruth keet said...

so am I the only other person who watched that film and fell in love with that line and could henceforth never forget it!?

microphen said...

um ... in a word, no.

that might be way i've stolen it. before anyone else did.

Anonymous said...

Skills Andy, never give you recipes away....