Friday 21 March 2008

The Easter

It's Easter. So you know what that means. It's time again for a few months of random, sometimes impressive, bruises, nasty sand abrasions (generally on the lower arm and elbow), and twice weekly adventures swimming in more sweat than is normal or socially acceptable.

Yes it's hockey season again. Yay. First training last night. I'm unfit. And I have a new elbow sand abrasion. Yay.

Cos this post, hell, this blog, is all about me, and I couldn't find a more suitable image, here's a shot Sharyn took of me about a year ago. In a kitchen/auditorium on a cruise ship. Nice. She'll soon be doing some more work for these guys, this time without me, cos they're cheap (or maybe it's me, useless, unhelpful, demanding, egotistical).

And to finish, a little weekend reading for you. Here's a new blog with an aim to critique photography - it's permalinked on the left there. Already I'm not in entire agreement, but then that's the point. Looking forward to further opinionated opinions.

8 comments:

a camera in the world said...

ahhh, contact sport, ahhh, manly injuries. I'll stick with sailing and the occasional rope burn, bashed knee/elbow/head and sprained finger .....

Anonymous said...

sand rash? diddums. blackberry gashes, inflicted before and after diving into streams potentially full of toxic algae, swallowing the odd bit of said potentially toxic water, muscle tears, general dehydration and complete exhaustion, mental health issues... I love orienteering nationals, and I love that unlike most of the similarly afflicted it's not a desk job I'm going back to tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

Boy. You look like you have a pretty rugged tan there! Gosh I must have gone overboard on the curves.

microphen said...

packhorse - didn't anybody teach you about keeping your mouth shut when swimming? or doing stretches before and after exercise? and ensuring you keep up your liqiud intake? sounds like you're just being irresponsible to me.

whereas my injuries are not the result of any irresponsibility or stupidity whatsoever.

sharyn - haven't you noticed that i always have a nice rugged tan? hope you have fun with the girls this week - if in fact the girls are going to be there.

Anonymous said...

Girls? What girls? Who's a girl? Oh..... nooooooo, different shoot this year. Noooooooo cute girls!

microphen said...

oh. that's a shame. cute girls are cute. anyway kinda figured. but i'm never told the detail so i have to make my own assumptions. usually wrong. but i'm getting used to that.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused - I should "swim" with my mouth closed, but keep up my liquid intake?

I noticed no advice on the mental health issues.... but I'd question whether hanging out on astroturf with large numbers of guys with big sticks and access to a hard ball involves no stupidity or irresponsibility whatsoever

microphen said...

swimming and liquid intake should exist in mutually exclusive universes. one should not be confused with the other. it could be embarrassing.

and for your information "hanging out on astroturf with large numbers of guys with big sticks and access to a hard ball" is about courage, overcoming rational processes, retaining mental focus, exercise, and adrenalin buzzes. and as you rightly state "involves no stupidity or irresponsibility whatsoever".

if you're interested 5.30 saturday at fraser, 11.30 sunday at national hockey stadium. awesome.