Wednesday 5 March 2008

The Waterworks


I've just added a new page to my website - awesome way to waste a few hours on an afternoon.

You can currently only get to it if you know the address i.e. there is no link from anywhere on my website. That means you have to use this link here.

It's a body of work I started on last year. It is incomplete. One day I hope to get around to finishing it off.

At the time it was really exciting to shoot. I had, I believe, a good idea. It meant I spent a few days during a hot McKenzie Country summer cruising around unfamiliar territory looking for exciting things to shoot.

I ended up with about 77 negatives. When I got back to Wellington and processed the film I was rather disappointed. There were technical issues with my development, and with the camera/filmbacks at times, which kinda threw me and tainted my thinking about the work.

After having big plans for it I ignored it for a few months. About mid-year I resdiscovered it, threw a book together (which is the basis for the website) and am no longer so disappointed with it.

I do know it's not finished. There are shots I need to reshoot for technical or aesthetic reasons. Some further exploration wouldn't hurt. And I reckon some more snow would be awesome too.

So if anyone's got a spare $10,000 I'd love to take it off your hands and spend a month or so shooting a bunch more shots, eating bad takeaways, narrowly avoiding crashes with SUVs, and generally looking like a crazy person.

There's no explanatory text on the website and there's none here either - though that picture at the top should give you a good clue, as should the title. If you still can't work out what it's all about, maybe I'll explain it sometime later.

PS - I have posted one of the shots on the website previously, and some of you may well note a number of sites previously shot by one Wayne Barrar, though aside from the previously posted shot, I didn't recall his images (which really isn't a good enough excuse).