Thursday 8 February 2007

The Planes

In Omarama there's this cafe, Kahu Cafe to be precise. It is a cool bohemian type place, mismatched furniture etc, and reminded me of the cafes in Dahab - places you can happily spend the day, eating and drinking occasionally, and generally hanging out. Rather than having the Red Sea to look over, however, Kahu has the world famous airfield.

And what it's world famous for is gliding. Lots of gliding.

Back in the day I got to fly a plane over the Hauraki Gulf. It was fun ... until the pilot intentionally stalled the plane, causing me to think we were going to die in a horrible wet splash. We didn't. He knew what he was doing it seems. But the idea of gliding had never really grabbed me ... until I got to Omarama and saw everyone doing it.

And what a stunning location for it. Not that you can tell from these pics, but take my word for it.

I'm so glad the Holga was made with sports photographers in mind. There are gliders in all these shots, take my word for it.



3 comments:

a camera in the world said...

So, did you go for a flight? In my teenage years I learnt to fly a glider down in Christchurch.

It's a beautiful experience. No engine noise, simple controls, ahhh, the memories.

microphen said...

nah. it was the world gliding champs, and kinda pricey. but next time i may well...

a camera in the world said...

paraparaumu, go on, you know you'll love it