Tuesday 20 February 2007

The Casal

In London, there's this club called the 12 Bar Club. To say that it's small but intimate would be to state the blatantly freakin' obvious. Being a bit of a music appreciator, I'm always on the look out for new artists. Amongst those I 'discovered' during my time in London was Neal Casal. Although an American, Casal played London - the 12 Bar Club to be precise - while we were there. It was a great gig from memory. People who can do the solo voice and guitar thing, do it well, and do it entertainingly are few and far between.

I don't know why, but I'm sure I had a great reason to take my camera along. Consequently, I took some photos. The first of only two times I've done gig photography.

As you may be able to make out, the club is on two levels - one about six foot, three inches above the other!! Small but intimate, see.

The opening act was a six or seven (or eight) piece band called Lincoln, from memory. (Look, I'm not going to go rifling through my old journals and scraps of paper just for the purpose of fact checking okay!) They could barely all fit on the stage, but they also put on a damn fine show.

As it happens, I bought my first Neal Casal CD late last year - it's a good one too, complete with DVD. And while on the topic of DVDs and people who can do the solo voice and guitar thing well, check out this one.

No comments: