Wednesday 7 November 2007

The Serendipitous

I’ve said it before, and hell, I’ll say it again. And no doubt again. And again.

I regularly reference other photographers in my work. It may be subtle – I may be the only who picks up on it – or it may be blatantly obvious. Even to those with a mild knowledge of (New Zealand) Art photography.

But there is this thing called serendipity. In fact I think what I really mean is there is this thing called serendipitous synchronicity.

(Maybe you being a cynic will call it coincidence, but me being a poet much prefers serendipitous synchronicity.)

There are a number of places I’ve photographed, only to discover (after the fact) that other photographers have done it before me. There are places I discover and in my discovery realise that I’ve been there before in someone else’s work. Far from disheartening, this discovery is actually quite cool, finding you’re operating on a similar wavelength to folk whose work you admire.

For one reason or another Laurence Aberhart is a prime culprit here. But the other day I picked up Ink & Silver, a book I've been meaning to buy for a while if only cos it's big, beautifully printed, and contains work of someone I really admire (and a couple of people I really don't).

And then I discovered this serendipitous synchronicity.

Again, I’ve said it before (though interestingly not on this blog ... ever!!), and hell, I’ll say it again. And no doubt again. And again.

The two greatest influences on me when studying photography were Wayne Barrar and Anne Noble. In part because of their individual approaches to photography and photographing opened my eyes to new ways of looking and photographing, and in part due to the people and subjects they introduced me to. Oh, and in part cos they're both lovely people.

So anyway, this is 'Barrier, Lake Ruataniwha 1987' by Wayne Barrar.

Shot it. Myself. Earlier this year.

And Log Boom, Lake Rotorangi, 1993.

Shot it. Myself. Earlier this year.

And Wayne's third image in the book. It's from Stewart Island. I ain't ever been there. But I love this shot. Just love it to death.

No comments: