Wednesday 6 February 2008

The Proof

Further proof, as if any was needed that exercise is bad.

This afternoon saw a quick, largely uneventful game of basketball which only seemed to confirm that I am 'The Biggest Loser'. There were four of us - me, Matt, Stu and Jim - so we rotated the pairings. I was the only one to never win a match. Awesome.

Anyway, it was enough to get a bit hot and sweaty and puffed. But I needed more. So ...

Having my bike with me I headed up Mount Vic. All nice and easy. Then over Alexandra Park to drop down behind the old Fever Hospital into Newtown. I've never had much luck finding an easy route for this, so today I tried a new route.

The following photos show what happens when you follow a slightly overgrown track that turns into a track the bike is happy to follow even though the rider can see nothing verging on a track due to all the gorse, blackberry and assorted scrub.


It's interesting that while I got scratches and prickles on my legs, arms and hands, it was the back of my left leg that took the brunt of the attack.

Below is my best approximation of a forensic photographer showing the result of coming off and falling onto some of the aforementioned blackberry. Not so nice. Note not just the two blood spots, but also the ripped fabric.

And further forensic photography showing the left leg of said pants. Mmmmm blood.

So all up it was a pretty awesome afternoon. May be back tomorrow for more. Choice.

And I should mention that I stopped in at Evans Bay to give myself a bit of a wash down and sea water disinfection before carrying on home. Things looked a lot worse before that.

And it was certainly a great deal better than the first cycling related blood of the summer.

Now I'm off to find the dettol. Ouch.

No comments: