Wednesday 19 September 2007

The Rothko

So, you know, I assume that most of you guys what read this have been following the various random storylines I have going on. And that you are actually interested in the crap I write. Today we head back to polaroid territory linking back to this posting.

The camera I took roadtripping with me at the beginning of the month was my trusty Polaroid Square Shooter 2 bought from Cash Converters in Hamilton back in 2004 on the way to Auckland to see Sonic Youth in concert. It's a lovely camera, but I bought the last stock of film from WPS ages ago and it's proving difficult to source more what with it not being made anymore.

Still it takes lovely shots. So lovely that when we passed through Woodville and stopped at my favourite secondhand shop there, I bought another Polaroid Square Shooter 2.

But back to before then, here are the first two shots I took when I got the thing up and running again, i.e. put some film in it.



It's quite easy to claim that anything vaguely abstract with strong lines and colours is like Rothko - that's why I've done exactly that - but I like my take on it, utilising characteristics of the polaroid to create something a little more unique. The second shot, however, is just rubbish. I'm not even sure anything was exposed on the film.

No comments: