Monday 1 May 2006

The Night


Here's a shot from one of my favourite spots in Wellington. It's very close to the city, yet most people don't know about it, so it tends to be quiet and peaceful. Though in the middle of the bush on a moonless night got to me and I couldn't stay there for too long (there are reasons that I won't go into here). After wimping out of that shot, I came out and took this one of the entrance which really is rather beautiful, what with the tungsten lights and all. I was even inspired enough to write a couple of poems waiting for the thing to expose. It will probably mean nothing to yous guys, but it means a lot to me - it's that bloody nostalgia again ain't it!!

Beauty and Wonder and Place Gone Past

Gallipoli
Tor
Whitby even
Made by the night
Though the day shouldn't complain


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a wicked shot!

Anonymous said...

Really wicked - and I love the hopscoth ones too...and the colour shot....and the - man they're all pretty cool Andy. I think Penny called your photos 'whimsical' the other day. Lovely word I reckon. Where is this one? Kate

microphen said...

Thanks Kate, and Jodi (and Penny).

whimsical (adj : determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason) isn't exactly how i would describe my work. in fact most of them are the exact opposite, but i can see why they may have that feel - especially the ones on this blog, some of which really are more whimsical in process (but then, in some respects, so is photography to a large degree).

and i'm not going to give away my secret locations, suffice to say it is a lot closer to the city than you'd ever think and if you've reached kelburn you've gone too far.

Anonymous said...

If I've got the right place, are you trying to tell us that the hanging tree is haunted? Wimp!

microphen said...

well yes there was a wierd vibe there - esp in the middle of a moonless night. but i only found out about the hanging after i took this shot. not sure i could do a night in there anymore.