Saturday 6 May 2006

The Sign

One New Years I spent a couple of days with my friends David and Rachael at the bach they had rented over the hill from here. I'd never been to Tora before so was keen to check out a new part of the country. Naturally I've since been back on a number of occasions. David and I spent a lot of our time wandering around with our cameras - though there was less wandering with David's gear cos his 8x10 camera and its associated bags are somewhat heavy. This shot was taken on one of those strolls. Beyond the peak in the road a couple of kilometres is the place we stayed at. It's a gorgeous spot with nothing to do - the perfect place for doing um ... nothing.

1 comment:

ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
Really like this image for its timeless association. There are some rural areas of our beautiful country that could be viewed in 100 years from now, as they are viewed at present, barring a mass population explosion and an influx of Shania Twains!
My own childhood was spent in an area very similar to this photographic capture. Old box-houses with a huge front lawn that doubled as a paddock and garden. Of course this scene could be applied to a house by the beach or out in the middle of the whaps.
When I return home to visit kin or merely to relive and rethink I'm continuously amazed at how the landscape, people and associated environments haven't changed that much, if at all!