Friday 19 May 2006

The Craig

See I too can take beautiful scenic photographs a la Craig Potton when the urge takes me. This wee shot was taken at Okarito, a beautiful, quiet hideaway in Westland. I believe it is home to photographer Andris Aspe and writer Keri Hulme. And a very few other people.

I arrived late afternoon expecting (hoping) to find an empty campground. Instead it was 2/3 full, including a bunch of people on a bus/bike tour - I think they spend most of the time in the bus and do little rides after arriving at location. By nightfall the place was as full as it could get. Not bad for a place with a minimum of facilities.

The next morning I woke up early - as you tend to when tenting it - climbed the hill overlooking the lagoon, then did both glaciers, a quick stop at Lake Matheson, and on to Hokitika and the inaugural Wet West Film Festival. Not bad for a days work. I felt like Michael Palin - just not so old ... or English ... or witty.

1 comment:

a camera in the world said...

nice. very pottonesque (if that's how ya spell it). its a nice spot with a very interesting history.