Friday 12 May 2006

The Dilemma

Ever had one of those moments when you're thinking "but I wanna ... but I don't know whether I should"? This was one of those moments. The signs said 4WD only. I have a 4WD, albeit a car with road tyres. But regardless of that, when I get to a stretch of water that's so enticing to just zoom through it's hard to resist. Even when there's a nice warning sign. And you can't tell how deep the water is.

So I park up, get out, start taking my shoes and socks off and the woman over the other side says it's just past ankle depth. I look at her curiously and go "oh well in that case I'll drive". So I do, not entirely trusting her, but she was so close to right it didn't matter - until I got to the other side and noticed that, strangely for a beach, it was sand and sand that got covered at high tide. Fortunately I found more solid sand and parked up once again.

The crossing was really a ford, kinda solid under the water - wood from memory, a bit bouncy, but better than sinking in sand. Needless to say I didn't go 'dead slow' on the way back. Ya can't. Not when you can do water play and make lots of spray.

It was a lovely spot. I don't think I've been back. But I will one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We have one of those fantastic water crossing right outside our house! As yet I havn't done it, but that's partly becuase my car is so full of rust I think it would probably just fill up with water and sink! Then again, that probably wouldn't be a bad thing... does insurance cover that?