Thursday 25 May 2006

The Prince


Yesterday a very good friend of mine buried her cousin Matt. Not the happiest of occasions, but a lovely ceremony by all accounts (well the one account I got).

After deciding I really needed to head out and start photographing properly again, Bex suggested I photograph a rugby field. As luck would have it, I've got one just across the road and I've often thought about photographing there, but for some reason it's always hardest to get up the energy to photograph those things closest to home.

So a little after 10pm last night I wandered across the road to stand around in the cold and dark for a couple of hours. I was rather excited to see that someone had thought of me and set up a nice bit of lighting. I never did work out if they were renovating (read ripping the place up), partying, or a combination of the two.

Anyhow these shots of Prince of Wales Park, Mount Cook, Wellington, are my little tribute to Matt.



PS - for those interested in the technical aspects of this stuff, the exposures are intentionally darker than I'd normally do (ie shorter, but still verging on the hour mark), and I have to admit they are a little darker than I'd hoped but that's what you get with imprecise science. Also that nice Victorian soft-focus romantic pictorialist thing is due to condensation on the lens. It works quite nicely actually.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for the "Victorian soft-focus romantic pictorialist thing" very nice!

Anonymous said...

Lovely images - Matt would approve of the subject matter of course & whether it was a renovation or a party - it fits as he was a builder who was known for his shin dig antics. Apparently moving parties up onto rooftops was his speciality - including the kegs!
Thanks Microphen - whens the park exhib then?

Anonymous said...

I love to see the world turning... The darkness surrounds and cushions while remaining dense and mysterious. Good stuff!