Tuesday 17 June 2008

The Road

Those of you who have been lucky enough to have gone to Catherine Russ's (owner of Thermostat) house may well have seen a similar picture to this. Not identical by any means. But similar.

Catherine took hers on a similar stretch of the same road, at a similar time of the day. But on a very different day. I like her shot. I like my shot too.

This shot got me in trouble. We were away on a shoot. I asked the photographer if I could bring a camera. He was hesitant in saying yes. Later I heard he felt it just wasn't done for the assistant to take a camera along too. Ironically I think if I'd shown the photographer the film I shot he may not have been so annoyed.

You see I only got one shot on the film. The last shot. This shot. The one long(ish) exposure. The lens was stuffed. It's shutter wasn't working properly, so those 11 daytime shots of the mountains etc shot at around 1/125 - 1/15 (probably) didn't come out. Cool.

Anyway, that was all years ago and it hasn't affected our working relationship or friendship. But it's all kinda funny.

And in other news:
1) a friend sent me this the other week - an interview with Henri Cartier-Bresson. I started watching it but it's an hour long, so I gave up. Thanks for the link Gabrielle, I will watch it sometime.
2) and in podcast news, I discovered this the other day - Magnum stories.
3) and this, from Lenswork - over 400, mainly short, chats about things photographic.

No comments: