Friday 27 June 2008

The Resignation

Dear Sir,

I hereby resign from this organisation effective immediately.

You have never been one for wanting to properly and effectively confront issues within the organisation but I feel I should offer some explanation as to the reasons for my departure.

1) In the seven odd years that I have been vaguely employed by this organisation I have seen workload and productivity drop. Consequently I have seen a drop in income by the organisation. You may argue about the productivity drop, but it feels as if there has been a dramatic decline in actual productiveness despite the fact that product is still making its way into the public realm.

2) As a boss you suck. You often wile away your time unproductively in front of the computer, spending far too much time reading and writing blogs, or sitting in cafes reading newspapers and drinking coffee. You do not spend anywhere near enough time developing your knowledge base, researching new products, or expanding your market share. If you are not willing to do the work required to see the success of this organisation perhaps you need to delegate more roles to other people within the organisation who are more able to complete the tasks required.

3) Due to the downturn in workload, productivity, and income, the money offered is ridiculous. Some weeks it's a struggle to buy groceries, let alone pay bills - which just build up so when we do get paid well most of that money goes to pay off the debt created when you decided not to pay us very much. So when an organisation came offering a regular, steady income I felt it would be silly to turn them down. And when another organisation also came offering a regular, steady income, albeit short-term, I felt it would be silly to turn them down also.

Now I don't have time to work for you and fritter my life away - except maybe on weekends and evenings.

I wish you and your organisation all the best. I truly hope you can survive without my presence, though I strongly suspect you won't.

Don't call me, I'll call you (maybe when the semester is over).

Screw you, Andy.



It's quite fun resigning from your own self-employment. Almost as much fun as resigning from a 'real' job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Hope the boss didn't take the news too badly. I hear he's a bit of an arse.

a camera in the world said...

Yes, well, I know that problem. Having a similar conversation at the moment. What doesn't help is that the organisation has spent most of the past week ill in bed so is not receptive to issues of increased productivity and output currently.

microphen said...

the whole organisation has been ill?! that sounds nasty. i think someone should check the aircon.

for the record the boss isn't/wasn't a bit of an arse. he could be moody (most of the time), and anti-social (some of the time), and a prick (every now and then), but never an arse.

Anonymous said...

I think you should be nicer to your boss. Sounds like he had a rough time of it. Word can get around too, people speak. Don't you need a good reference from this guy. I guess some of your comments are fair, but your boss is probably struggling just like the rest of us. Shz

Anonymous said...

HA HA !

Glad I'm not the only one getting the wrong end of the stick this week ..

Also - I thought I was your manager. I'm still waiting for my 60% ! I'm sure I did more work on those coffee meetings.

microphen said...

me and the (ex-)boss were close but not so much anymore. frankly i'm surprised we've lasted this long. sure it's been rough, and we've even brought it on ourselves, but that's no reason to treat him nicely.

as for my 'manager', she refused to do pretty much everything i asked of her and didn't make me any money, so i'm happy to pay her her 60% of nothing.