Friday 11 April 2008

The Fortieth

Yesterday afternoon, about 4pm, after sitting around working on various things and fighting off the desire to go to sleep in my reading chair in the sun, I decided to head out and take some photos.

I grabbed the SX-70, jumped in the car and headed to the South Coast. It was only as I was driving towards Wahine Park that I remembered it was the 40th anniversary of those sad events. "How apt," I thought, "if I'm going to take ten photos today what better place could there be?".

So here are those ten photos.

Naturally I left the necessary ND filter at home.

So I had to dial the exposure down.

It kinda worked.

It's odd to stand on the shore and realise that just a few hundred metres away there's a ship rusting on the bottom of the channel. It's odder still to realise that on these shores, and the ones across the channel that numerous bodies washed ashore - some alive, some dead.

Mother Nature hides human history so well.

No comments: