Thursday 20 December 2007

The Wannabes

Here are a couple of wannabe good photos.

They can want all they like. It ain't gonna help any.

I think I was trying to channel Wayne Barrar this day.

I could try all I wanted. It wasn't going to help any.



And on a completely unrelated bitter note - cos I can do bitter, and jealous, angsty, annoyed, peeved, depressed, I have a full range of negative emotions. I entered this thing a few months back. A few weeks ago they told me I was a loser. Today they announced the winners. I think I failed cos my pictures aren't boring enough. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

a camera in the world said...

I think there is a prevailing aesthetic in American photography that favours a sort of deadpan documentary. I have seen others call it Yaley after the Yale MFA program.

Some do it well, like Alec Soth, but it seems to me that it is, especially in New York, becoming pretty much the only game in town.

What did you submit?

a camera in the world said...

Oh, you submitted those, good choice. their loss.

microphen said...

call me a cynic but i can't help but think she won because of the freak factor

you don't need good photos if the subject is good enough.

i knew i'd either be well in or well out. sadly it turned out to be the latter, but hey, who needs the support of one of the biggest photographic publishers in the world.

not me. that's who.