Thursday 13 December 2007

The Kudos

A week ago I stated rather sadly "but I'm still waiting for a show to break even."

I am waiting no more. I pulled down my show at Photospace having only made one sale. As I had done when I showed the work in Palmerston North. And yes, one sale is better than none sale.

But the other day I had a couple of people around and they bought a couple. Meaning that, thanks to some very nice folk - all women as it happens (does that mean anything?!) - I have broken even.

And before all of you hit me up for money thinking I'm now some rich artist, I would like to point out that break even for me means that I have recovered the cost of printing and framing the work, and costs directly associated with the exhibition. It does not mean that I've recovered the cost of producing the work - i.e. driving around the country, shooting dozens of rolls of film, getting them processed etc., the cost of cameras or insurance etc., nor the time spent doing any of this.

Still it's a good feeling knowing I can probably afford Christmas this year. So thanks ladies.

And while we're on the kudos trip. Today I collected my win from the Post Office - as shown above. Those of you who read the thing I wrote which caused me to be a winner will have noticed my pitiful plea at the end:

PS - I’ve spent the last few years trying to find a copy of the album on CD. I’d be most obliged if anyone out there has a copy they’re happy to get rid of (god forbid) or, dare I say it, loan me (nudge nudge wink wink).

Well. Last week a friend popped on to a local website she rarely visits (and one I visit regularlyish) and found a copy. She even bought it. Then gave it to me. Nice. So thanks Russell (and Grant) for the book, and thanks T Lady for the CD.

And just cos I can. And just cos I also picked it up today. I just scored myself a copy of this from Penguin. Awesome. Thanks guys. From a quick 3 second flick through I can safely say the photography looks pretty lovely. Look out for a review in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're welcome