Monday 25 September 2006

The Recreation

I don’t know about the rest of you but I do find photography edifying for the soul. This year, for various reasons (and I could give you half a dozen) I haven’t done much photography for myself – especially when at home.

And, I know, again for various reasons (and again I could give you those same half dozen), I haven’t been the most enthusiastic about photography this year – though this may come as a surprise to regular readers of this self-absorded ego boost, but I’m talking in generalisations here.

However, I’ve started taking photos again. Mulling on a couple of ideas to see where they lead me. I think it helps that 1) I’ve had a lot of work the last couple of months and 2) I have two, possibly three, shows next year, out of town. That gives me reason.

I’ve said it before (though I don’t think it was in any public forum kind of way) and I’ll say it again. I like who I am when I’m photographing. It constantly surprises me that I can be in a grump, go take a photo or two and feel like a completely different person. Long may it continue.

Here then are two images I took on Sunday. Purely because I liked them in a Joel Sternfeld Stephen Shore kind of way.



2 comments:

ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
I know excatly what you mean! I have just come off a photography gig for someone else and haven't enjoyed it at all, nothing I want to mention and nothing worth mentioning. Satisfaction and enjoyment was Nil! Loss of photographic stimulation more than I care to think 8(
I find when I'm in my own zone I'm "TUNED IN" to what I like and what I'd like to see. The creative photographic juices boil and the finger twitches at the prospect of heading out on a photo op and clicking some moments of expression and/or speech without words.

I like these images cause they're yours Andy! The reason I come here is to view your photographic expression not your resemblence to someone elses style.

microphen said...

thanks ndigniz, that last sentence is just so lovely, warm and fuzzy. cheers mate