Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Film

It's no secret, though it's probably not widely known either, that Sigur Ros is one of my favourite bands.

So when I saw that they were putting out a book I just had to get me a copy. Admittedly it took me a few months of indecision before biting the bullet, but I did bite the bullet. And it tasted good.

Sadly, upon receipt of said book, I was disappointed. Ostensibly a photographic book, the photos were entirely underwhelming. Sigur Ros have great design sense, but none of that showed in the book. The photos were fine but unexciting. The layout was, quite frankly, dull. So disappointing.

On the plus side, it is a limited edition and it did come with a CD (of which I already had a copy) and a DVD (of which I didn't already have a copy) and a strip of 16mm film from one of the films on the DVD (of which I didn't already have a copy).

The same day I bought Sigur Ros, I found out that Dudley Benson had also just published a limited edition book. So I had to buy that too. Oh well.

It's a better book. A workbook, made after the fact, relating to his debut album and supporting national tour. It's a nice idea. Though Benson openly admits to stealing it off Nigel Brown (I'd like to see his workbooks too).

It's a nice book too. Limited edition. No music or DVD, worse luck. But it does include individual drawings by Hanna Lee who made one of his videos.

No comments: