Monday 8 March 2010

The Beautiful

It's a bit disconcerting when, for the sake of a free ticket (or two), you are expected to blag your way into pretending that you are some kind of journalist.

Such was the case with 13 Most Beautiful.

As it combined Andy Warhol films and a musician who can be found in my CD collection I really wanted to go to this show. And if it was possible I wanted to go for free (thanks Lumiere).

I wasn't expecting to have to do any work for it. I certainly wasn't expecting to have to do a 'phoner' (journo speak, apparently).

So there I was one Friday morning putting in a call to New York to try and ask some intelligent questions of a guy I had never met, but knew a bit about, about a show which he had been doing for a while and had probably answered these very same questions dozens of times. I'm not entirely convinced I pulled it off. But I did know was that I still wanted to see the show.

Last week, Dean and crew were in Wellington. Dean and Britta did a lunchtime talk at City Gallery. Dean was flogging his memoir. I bought it. He signed it. (Another audience member pulled out a Galaxie 500 7" and a couple of LPs for Dean to sign. It didn't occur to me until then that I could've brought down a CD or two.)

The next day they were performing at the Town Hall. I bought the DVD prior to the show having some inside knowledge that 1) they had only brought over about 30, 2) they would sell fast. After the show Dean and Britta signed it.

You can read my preview and review, and even see some photos (though they all appear to be from soundcheck).

Having procured copies of albums by Dean's first band in preparation for my interview, they have quickly become a favourite. Excitingly reissues are on the way. The DVD and book are both worth checking out, as is this website for a head full of wishes.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Nice - it is a lovely show. And glad you had to do that work - it made a nice read. Thanks also for the link to AHFoW!

microphen said...

thanks andy. it is a great show. i just like to complain about things. but it was fun doing the research for the preview, reminding me of things i'd long forgotten etc.