Monday 23 April 2007

The Painting

A few weeks ago, I had a wee gathering at my place and suggested somewhat cheekily that people bring along an artwork for my walls. Most people ignored the request - bastards!!

One friend, Andre Young, did bring along a work, and for reasons I'm not entirely certain about I keep being drawn to it more than any other work on my walls.

Possible reason one. It was a gift.

Possible reason two. It hasn't actually made it to me wall, and is standing up on my kitchen table.

Possible reason three. I can't connect the image to any gallery or show, and consequently I have arbitrarily given it a different value.

Possible reason four. The image is absolutely beautiful.

Possible reason five. It's a very me image.

Possible reason six. It may have something to do with the direct gaze.

It is strange that many of the works I have purchased have become decorations rather than works to return to. Part of that is the fact that I live with them, and a certain complacency exists. Also I feel that by actually treating them as Art i.e. framing them, hanging them on the wall, they have lost some of their immediacy.

Last year I bought a couple of Andre's etchings, got them home, framed them, hung them on my bedroom wall, and haven't paid them much attention since.

The works I do keep going back to are my big (1.5 x 2.5m) Naga Tsutsumi drawing above my bed, the drawing by my front door (cos they're by the front door and the bathroom door, and childish), and another 'drawing' directly opposite my office door (cos it's
directly opposite my office door, and kooky).

Everything else gets the occasional moment of attention when I notice/re-discover it again.

It's a strange wee goings on this art thing.

Oh, and if you're interested, Andre's work can be purchased from Roar! Gallery in Wellington.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe art can't breathe when it's locked up. Perhaps it stops the viewer from feeling the artist's energy. I seem to gravitate more to
things which aint behind glass. But the internet art is still alluring..

microphen said...

nice point lady sparkle beam, you may well be right. so maybe i should have a frame smashing party sometime soon and liberate my caged art.