Sunday 18 June 2006

The Journal


Just a wee advertisement for the latest New Zealand Journal of Photography. It should be in all good magazine shops shortly.

Inside is a 'review' of the book Contemporary New Zealand Photographers by respected photography writer Bill Jay. Rather than review the book, he looks at what is wrong with New Zealand photography and gives some pointers as to how we can gain wider, i.e. international, acceptance of our work.

Anyone trying to become a contemporary New Zealand photographer/artist should read it, and take notes.

Oh and there's other stuff in there too, but it's written by Kiwi's and being the culture snob I am I haven't read it yet.

I hear the next issue of the Journal is going to be a pretty special one too - due September I think.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

i clicked on your promise to post a comment...so here's your comment! I'd love to go to Africa one day!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that this article also tickled your fancy. I have reread it a few times now, and it inspires me! About bloody time really... I however did attempt to read one or two other articles in this issue, but only got to the first paragraph and then got terribly bored of the self rightions, arrogant crap that some people can feel privilidged enough to write... so I stopped and re read the afore mentioned article...

Maybe we could make it to NY one day huh!

microphen said...

it tickled my fancy cos i think it needed to be said. its very easy for us to make assumptions about the value/worth of our Art but it is generally only a value/worth that we, the local creators & critics, put on it without regard for international value/worth.

if one wants to achieve internationally one needs to think and respond internationally, and realistically much of what we/i do probably doesn't.

oh and i've been to ny and it's over-rated. (at least that's what i keep telling myself to stop me going back)