Saturday 26 December 2009

The Comedown

Ah Christmas eh?

This Christmas is going to be one many a music fan will remember.

It would be overstating things to say that I was a huge Vic Chesnutt fan - I didn't bother to see him when he played here a few months ago - but he's been on my radar for over ten years now and I'm always interested to hear what he's up to. (There is currently a free 6 track sampler on his website, including a track called 'Philip Guston'.)

It's always sad to hear of the death of people who have brought happiness to so many people while (and sometimes because of) suffering immensely themselves. I'm thinking of Elliott Smith and Kurt Cobain in particular.

I mentioned Smith here, when discussing the unexpected death of another 'friend'. Like McLennan, Smith made some of the most beautiful music of the past couple of decades - music that truly moved me. I even borrowed some of Smith's words for one of my shows.

Yesterday I got the Nirvana CD/DVD Live at Reading. It's not the most riveting watch, but considering this was recorded on August 30, 1992, before they had made their best album, their music still sounds incredibly vital today. I hardly listen to the studio albums anymore - familiarity has bred antipathy - but this has awakened thoughts of pulling them out and giving them a spin.

And now it appears that Vic Chesnutt, like too many before him, has decided he could go on no longer and left this world a little poorer.

And for something a little lighter, here are two recent reviews.

No comments: