Friday 13 November 2009

The Stroke

"On June 11 this year musician, artist, father, writer, film critic & jandal wearer Chris Knox suffered a life-altering stroke at his home in Grey Lynn."

"The double CD ‘STROKE – Songs For Chris Knox’ is being released in New Zealand on Monday November 16."

Though if, like me, you pass by Slowboat Records you can pick up your copy today.

It's 35 tracks - 32 cover versions by local and overseas musicians, some well known/famous, some unknown (to me) and 3 previously unreleased tracks.

I'm just listening to it for the first time. Like any similar kind of compilation there are good tracks and not so good tracks:
some folk have really taken liberty (for good or bad)
sadly some haven't (usually for bad)
as much as I like The Chills I don't think I've ever heard them do a decent cover
Boh Runga's Not Given Lightly wasn't as bad as feared but I'm over that song, regardless of who's singing
Red & Zeke (who don't exist according to Google) do great bluegrass
The Checks need to stop imitating so much
It's nice to hear solo Bathgate doing solo Knox
Don McGlashan does cheese?!
when John Darnielle is good, he's excellent
the Finns do Knox, not something I would have expected but they do all love The Beatles
Regardless, as it says on the cover "The artists & musicians involved have donated their time & talent so that all proceeds can go towards assisting Chris with his recovery" so you know it's a good cause.

"The stunning cover was designed by Chris’ fellow Tall Dwarf, Alec Bathgate and uses Chris’ favourite colour combination of yellow & black." But if, like me, you pass by Slowboat Records you too can allow them to add their own bits of yellow and black to the design. Sweet.

No comments: