Thursday 5 February 2009

The Arrived

Woo hoo. Well here we are in this mean old town.

I can recommend New Zealand’s Sub-Antarctic Islands as a nice place to visit. They have cool birds, nice seas, beautiful sunrises, rugged outdoors types, and fun photographers.

See .....

That’s a southern royal albatross (or maybe a northern one, I’m not sure the difference except that the southern ones come from the south) somewhere south of Stewart Island.

Mmmmmmmm, Campbell Island at dawn.

Mmmmmmmm, Perseverance Harbour, Campbell Island some time after dawn.

Ooohhhh that’s definitely a southern royal albatross on Campbell Island.

A rugged outdoors type on Campbell Island, west coast. (My god, he’s smiling!! Was he having a good time or something?!)

Wow, and a sunrise east of Auckland Islands framed by HMNZS Te Kaha. With shots like that I could almost be a landscape photographer.

And a rugged outdoors type sitting in JRs on HMNZS Te Kaha pretending to be intently doing digital stuff in Lightroom when in fact he was playing FreeCell.

That’s me on the right and Stephen Jaquiery, Illustrations Editor ODT, roommate, general good guy and pisstaker on the left sitting on Enderby Island waiting for our damn taxi home. (Photo courtesy Sarah Cowhey, NHNZ.)

I'm already planning my next visit. Roll on Masters project, the thesis of which will be along the lines of 'how can I get to New Zealand’s Sub-Antarctic Islands for an extended period at someone else's expense?'

1 comment:

tomislav said...

Great pictures man, right person at right place. So goood!