Thursday 21 August 2008

The Straitjacket

I'm off to Hamilton tomorrow.

For the opening of the Trust Waikato National Contemporary Art Award 2008.

I am one of 30 finalists. In with a chance of winning stuff. Or at least having one or two new people see my work.

It's very exciting. I'd like to invite you to the opening but I can't. It's very exclusive. The show is on until 30 November so you all have a chance of seeing it if you start planning your trip now.

Here's my piece. It's called some came on time, some took a while.

Natasha Conland, the judge, says about it (and the other work she selected):
It shouldn’t be a surprise that this year’s finalists have thrown up some strong contenders in the areas of painting and photography. As diverse as they are to one another, these works articulate an ongoing interest in wall-based image making. Even when the primary motivation is a performative action, a relationship with location or an object, the idea has been resolved on the wall, in the now-neutral format of picture making.
Here's a close up of the little specks of white bottom right.

That's what makes it Art.

That and the complete lack of focus and sharpness.

And that it's printed really big.

I had to create my own font in order to make this image. That's dedication! For a limited time you can download the fonts for free. Cos I know you all want to be able to pretend you write like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, or all the best, or break a leg or whatever the hell the appropriate good wishing salutation in this context is!