Friday 29 December 2006

The Whare


When I took this I dubbed it the "Wharekohu continuous self portrait". It's a fairly self-explanatory title really. It was the first attempt at an idea which never took off. I don't know why it never took off as I think it is an idea which works rather nicely. Yet another patented Andy Palmer subversion of the landscape photograph.

The image was taken in early 2001, when I managed to score myself a few days on Kapiti Island. As is often the case when I stay there, we ended up going to a part of the island I hadn't been to before. This part of the island so inspired me I almost volunteered to go back and base myself there cutting tracks and so on. Needless to say, lazy bugger I am, I didn't.

My mate Nic (who also crops up in some of these frames) got me on to the Kapiti, and down to Wharekohu, then made me get up at some godawful pre-dawn hour to sit in the bush and listen to him play a tape recording of some bloody bird call - kokako from memory. Anyway, tonight I'm heading down south to catch up with Nic, see a bit of the country and probably have him get me up at some godawful pre-dawn hour to sit in a river and listen to him play a tape recording of some bloody bird call - black stilt probably. It'll be fun.

PS: for those of you interested and with fast connections I've uploaded a larger scale image to my website - click on the image to enlarge it.

PPS: by way of clarification, the images are chronological as shot, the first three frames were test shots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy... happy '07 and all that. This looks like another of your great ideas... perhaps one you should continue with?!! Very cool

microphen said...

yeah, well maybe after its umpteenth rediscovery i've decided i may just do that.

thanks for the kudos.