Sunday 18 January 2009

The Rail

Yeah so for my birthday I bought myself Lightroom.

Seeing as it's a bit of an unwieldly program to get your head around I didn't have much of a play with it until a couple of weeks ago.

That was when I caught up with a local Lightroom whiz and he gave me a quick lesson on how to use the thing.

It is a great program, but for better or worse it's designed for digital shooters (hence the name), and not really made for us film shooters. But we can make it work as an archive.

So for the past few evenings I've been busy metadataing, captioning and keywording. And they said I was mad being so anally retentive about recording stuff - especially those who ridiculed me when I was overseas carrying around my little notebook writing details of every single photo I took. I knew it would come in handy one day.

Anyway, I've done about 8% of the stuff in the catalogue, which is only about 40% (at most) of the photos I've ever taken (just those I've scanned). But it has made me aware of some little slip ups with my scanning.

For example, I discovered I hadn't scanned four films from this time last year.

Sad. So sad. Cos there's some nice shots there.

Like these ones.

6 comments:

jodi Ruth keet said...

Oh, make no mistake, we still think you are mad being so anally retentive about recording stuff! See, if you didn't do that in the beginning you wouldn't have to spend hours putting all the damn information into a archive. Be more like me (I know you are trying) and don't record anything, then hunt around aimlessly trying to find it when you want it.

microphen said...

yeah um doesn't that mean that anal retentiveness is a good thing?!

jodi Ruth keet said...

NO! absolutely not!




GEEK

Anonymous said...

I think Jodi is arguing that hunting around aimlessly is a good thing (or better than anal retentiveness). I would tend to agree, though only if you see no need for the item of great interest you actually find to bear any relation to what you were originally looking for. Call it zen-filing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, wrong professional terminology. Zen-archiving.

a camera in the world said...

sometimes I wish I was more anally retentive, like when I spend hours looking for things I should have in an organised file somewhere