Thursday 4 September 2008

The Critics

It's taken a long while but finally we have a critic. From today's DomPost.

Naturally I had to defend myself. So, just in case they don't run it, here is my Letter to the Editor.
In response to Viv Turner’s letter of 4 September regarding Courtenay Place Park, I would like to point out that regardless of the worth of the park (though personally I feel it is a more pleasant place without that narrow through road), the purpose of the lightboxes is to present contemporary New Zealand Art in a very public way, and to invite debate about the works, and about art in general.

The first exhibition in the lightboxes consists of photographs by eight new and emerging Wellington artists. The main idea of the exhibition was to represent the breadth and depth of contemporary photography, from portraiture to documentary to landscape to conceptual. While it was never likely to be to everyone’s tastes, I feel it is a strong collection. While we didn’t set out to be contentious we were aware that some images may cause more of a stir than others. The whole process was overseen by the Public Art Panel.

I am the first to admit that there has been a general lack of explanation about the work and why it is there. I suggested that the Curators’ Statement be placed in the park somewhere, but these issues are outside of my control, so it hasn’t happened. It is on the council website however - http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/arts/publicart/temporary.html.

Just to appease you, you will probably be happy to know that these images will only be up for another few weeks, though whether you’ll like the replacement images I can’t say.

Oh, and I’ll willing take your $100 for pointing out that it is a cow’s tongue photographed by Shaun Lawson.

Andy Palmer
Co-Curator Courtenay Place Park Lightbox Project
Mount Cook, Wellington

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

tee hee!

oh that is too funny!!

I do hope they run your reply!!!

Getty images aye, she really knows what she is talking about I see!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate the tongue pic!

(what's to like? Poor vegans who have
to look upon such a summary of slavery
& murder)

And the ATM's

be glad to see the end of those .

But the rest are LOVELY

Anonymous said...

Note that the $100 offer was for anyone who could identify the cow's tongue for her, not for the first. If we were all more motivated people we could all apply. While she's entitled to her opinions and to have them treated with validity, I do like the idea of taking lots of money off people with lazy syntax.

a camera in the world said...

so......, did the dom post run your reply to the letter?

microphen said...

yeah um not yet. but i'm hoping.

tinks said...

Finally got to see these last weekend. Nice work!