Thursday 22 February 2007

The Opera

Back in 1998, I spent a few days in Sydney, between my return to NZ from my African odyssey to attend my bro's wedding (pictures of which may be posted at a later date), and my return to the UK to continue my escape from any sense of grown up responsibility.

Above is the utility atrium in the hostel I stayed at. It struck me as being somewhat Mondrianian - but with the added bonus of a horrible fluoro green . Or maybe Mirovian - but formalised.

It was hard to escape the odd icon though. And I'm not one for shying away from my responsibility as a tourist.

Ooh, look, the Opera House.

Interestingly, a couple of days after I left NZ the first time around, Crowded House played their "last ever show", on the stairs of the Opera House in front of 150,000 people. Bastards. And they didn't invite me. Boy was I tempted to forget flying to Hong Kong and doing Sydney instead.

No comments: