Thursday 21 February 2013

The Brothers

At the previously mentioned workshop last week, I scored myself this print.

It was a test done by Doug Munson and for some reason it ended up with all my stuff so came home with me.

We were told it was a Burton Brothers photo, but a quick read of the negative shows it is actually a Muir & Moodie photo. Mind you, Muir and Moodie did at some point work for the Burton Brothers so the confusion is understandable.

The Alexander Turnbull Library and Te Papa were each kind enough to give us some copy negs from their collections to use for the workshop. I would like to link to this one in one of their collections but I can't find it anywhere.

Oh well.

Still, it'll look nice next to my genuine Burton Brothers shot and printed photo of "A New Zealand Home, The Hutt".

1 comment:

nic said...

among people too lazy to do their research (or indeed read the info written on the image) there must be a degree of attributing ANY documentary photography of NZ in that era to the Burton Brothers... Maybe it's time someone did their bit to make some of the others working in the same period just as famous?