Thursday 25 January 2007

The Janet

I'm slowly working through the films from my trip. Here, for your enjoyment, are two shots from my cool wee 'new' camera.

I was pleasantly surprised by Oamaru. The bit that everyone goes on about - the old part - is really only a couple of blocks. Nice as they are, I was expecting more.

What did surprise me was that it just seemed like a nice town, a pleasant place to holiday and do nothing. There were a few decent cafes. And an art gallery - the Forrester Gallery - which has a superb collection of McCahon works, including some stunning early works.

And then there's Janet Frame. This is one of her childhood homes, which is now a museum of all things Frame. Well, I think that's the case, but I didn't actually go in as I had places to go, things to shoot.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, The Janet Frame house. Did you know that the people who we bought our house off bought the Janet Frame house and restored it. So really, they used our money to restore the Janet Frame house. So really, we own the Janet Frame house, kinda.